Mid-life crisis, pre-menopause, or just old age...my state of mind lately changes like the Wisconsin weather. Waukesha is a smaller town west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's a neat town with a private college, a really cool downtown shopping district with lots of galleries and antique stores.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

A Piece of Americana

On July 11th I got a taste of Americana in quaint Eagle, Wisconsin. My husband, daughter Megan and I attended a community concert to benefit the local cemetary. This cemetary was desimated by a tornado that ripped through the area in June, uprooting older trees, which in turn fell and ruined many a grave marker--doing much damage. That damage was still evident everywhere you looked...trees split in two, people's property still showing signs of the power behind that storm.

We sat in lawn chairs we brought. An empty bucket was passed for donations. As the Palmyra-Eagle Community band played patriotic songs, I looked around and felt I was experiencing what the Midwest is all about--a strong sense of community, apple pie and lemonaide.

Ages of the patrons ranged from infant to old geezer. There was ice cream to accompany your piece of cake or cookies--all donated by local bakers who wanted to do their part. All free, but donations were welcome and taken before you helped yourself.

The band was typical for a small community...all volunteers like you and I. An occasional off note, but their pride was absolute. Directed by none other than Ed Pierce, they did the community proud. (and I'm not just saying that because he was my band director in junior high!)

The local boy scout troop presented the colors, we all sang...it was, America at its best. A wonderful way to end a sunny weekend in Wisconsin.

No comments: