Mid-life crisis, pre-menopause, or just old age...my state of mind lately changes like the Wisconsin weather. Waukesha is a smaller town west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It's a neat town with a private college, a really cool downtown shopping district with lots of galleries and antique stores.

Monday, June 04, 2012

Literacy Services

I was invited to the Literacy Services luncheon today at the Pfister Hotel. I used to be more involved with this group, participating in an annual spelling bee and once, assisting with a book fair.

This is one luncheon I love attending. The student's stories are very inspiring to hear and the organization rocks it out of the ballpark on so many levels. They have programs to teach anyone how to read, to teach someone where English is their second language and they also assist student's who are going for their GED.

The time commitment is 90 minutes per week...I'd love to do it if I could find someone to alternate weeks with me. That would only be two nights per month and that doesn't seem so hard from a time commitment standpoint.

Every year I feel like I should do more. Give money, or volunteer my time....I cannot imagine not being able to read. Not to be able to read a road sign, read your child's homework, notes from the teachers, or their report cards. Reading is my escape. It takes me back in time, it surrounds me in Gothic romance, a scintillating mystery, or a silly comedy. It is how I tune out my long day in the office.

Time to step it up...what shall I do?

No comments: